Please select your question category

FAQs - All FAQs

Yes, The Town and Village require you to obtain a rental permit and have a thorough building and safety inspection prior to anyone taking occupancy. The application can be obtained in the Code Enforcement Office, and the fee for the permit would be paid once the application has been submitted, then the inspection will be performed, which the current tenant must be present for (unless unit is vacant, then the landlord must be present) or a waiver by the tenant can be signed to allow access while they are not home, providing all items are in order the rental permit can be issued.

Yes, but it must be ether:

  1. Stored on a premises legally used, operated and located for a junk yard.
  2. The motor vehicle must be stored in a completely enclosed building
  3. Only one motor vehicle may be stored outside on the property under a proper car cover and is not in addition to a vehicle described in #5 below.
  4. The motor vehicle is the inventory or part of the inventory of a new or used motor vehicle dealer located in compliance with the ordinances and local laws in the Town of Evans.
  5. A motor vehicle is under repair, reconstruction or refurbishing by the owners thereof, who actually reside on the premises, in which case one such motor vehicle may be stored on the premises. The vehicle must be maintained and protected and not create any hazard or nuisance to surrounding property owners and shall not remain on the premises for more than 60 days.

Yes, but a permit is required for a period not exceeding 90 days per permit and not to exceed 180 days per calendar year.

Yes, The Property Maintenance code of New York State requires smoke detectors at all of the following locations:

  • On the ceiling or wall outside the sleeping area in the immediate vicinity of bedroom area (where bedrooms are on opposite ends of the house one would be required next to each sleeping area).
  • In each room used for sleeping purposes.
  • In each story within a dwelling unit, including basements and cellars but not including crawl spaces and unoccupied attics.

No, they cannot be used on combustible balconies or decks. Cylinders greater than 2.5 Lbs. cannot be stored on balconies. All cooking must be at least 10 feet from the combustible building wall surface.


  • Siding
  • Replacement windows or doors of the same size
  • Non structural necessary repairs
  • Installation or repair of driveways
  • Installation of a second layer of shingle roofing without removing the first layer
  • Installation or construction of a storage shed 35 square feet or smaller



  • Check with our office for all items
  • Information from the owner, like their name, phone no., contractors name, & phone no., estimated total project cost
  • Site plan drawn to scale or a copy of the property survey showing the size of the lot, location of buildings, location of improvements and distance to property lines and other buildings.
  • Building plans and /or specifications drawn to scale. Plans shall include details on footer, foundation, floor, wall, and roof construction, insulation, plumbing, windows and door locations.
  • Residential plans must show energy code compliance. Window and door schedules must be submitted and states the sizes, make and models of each unit to be installed, U-factor specifications, glass and clear vent sizes and potential egress capability.
  • For free software for energy code compliance go to
  • Some commercial building plans for new construction, additions, and change of occupancy must be referred to the Planning Board for site plan approval before a permit can be issued.
  • In some cases plans must be stamped by a New York State Engineer or Architect, in compliance with New York State Education Law. Changes or amendments to the stamped plans either before or during construction will not be accepted unless they have been reviewed by the issuing licensed professional. One copy of the site plan (survey), building plans, and specifications must be submitted for review.
  • Contractors must submit proof of general liability insurance (Accord statement), workman's compensation insurance (C105.2 form), or New York State Insurance Fund form (U26.3) and disability insurance certificates for their employees, and subcontractors. An Accord form is not acceptable proof of New York State Worker's Compensation or Disability Benefits Insurance coverage.
  • Self employed contractors with no employees, subcontractors, helpers or other workers must submit New York State Worker's Compensation form CE-200 as proof of exemption.
  • Homeowners must complete a Worker's Compensation waiver form (BP-1) if the homeowner is the contractor, or acting as a general contractor allowing someone to do work at their residence, whether or not they are being compensated in any way, and if being compensated the home owner is required to have a home owners policy in effect to cover a contractor working at their residence with all individuals on the site working an aggregate total hours of 40 hours per week maximum.
  • All building demolitions are required to have an asbestos survey completed on the project and a copy of the results must be submitted to our office prior to issuing the permit.
  • All new construction work will need a sewer connection permit from the Erie County (EC) Sewer Dept. or the specifications for the type of septic system required by the EC Health Dept.
  • An owner who has recently purchased a property will be required to submit legal document proof of their ownership, such as a copy of the recorded deed, from the county clerk's office.
  • For structures being built in a flood plain area, an elevation survey for the property is required and a flood plain development permit approval prior to any construction permit being issued.
  • In cases where an existing structure is on a property and it is to be demolished and then a new building is built on the property then a sewer disconnect permit is required to be submitted with the new construction plans.
  • On some projects that are on the waterfront or next to large creeks and streams, it may be determined that a Waterfront Assessment Form (WAF) and / or a Coastal Erosion Hazard Area (CEHA) form would be required to be filled out and meet the approval of the town's planning dept. and / or Dept. of Environmental Conservation (DEC) prior to issuing the permit.
  • Construction work areas that will be altering or affecting the access to or from a public road, street, or highway may be required to obtain a DOT work permit from the agency responsible for the maintenance to the public road, street or highway, and then submit a copy to our office.

Town and County Taxes are due on February 15th (next business day if due dates falls on a Saturday, Sunday or Holiday).

School Taxes are due on October 15th (next business day if due dates falls on a Saturday, Sunday or Holiday).

A postage meter postmark is NOT a postmark made by the United State Post Office and, therefore, is not within the provisions of Real Property Tax law, Section 925.  Payments canot be deemed timely because of a postage meter postmark date on an envelope containing tax payment (Op. State Compt. 69-170).

If taxes are not received until after the due date, they are not paid until after the due date unless they fall squarely within the provisions of section 925 of the Real Property Tax law and the penalty must be added and collected and no town employee or official can waive the penalty (Op. State Compt. 68-626).

Town and County taxes are turned over to Erie County on July 1st, School taxes are turned over to Erie County on December 1st. Payment must then be made to Erie County. Any School tax not paid by December 31st will be relevied to the following Town and County tax bill.

Contact Us

Town Hall Business Hours
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday  8am – 4pm
Wednesday 9am – 5pm

Town Offices 
icon home 8787 Erie Road
     Angola NY 14006

con tel(716) 217-3500

Recent Documents