Please select your question category

FAQs - All FAQs

The Department of Community Development is funded primarily by grants from HUD:

  • Community Development Block Grant (CDBG)
  • HOME
  • Emergency Shelter Grant (ESG)


The following municipalities comprise the CDBG Consortium: Cities of Lackawanna and Tonawanda; Towns of Alden, Aurora, Boston, Brant, Clarence, Colden, Collins, Concord, Eden, Elma, Evans, Grand Island, Holland, Lancaster, Marilla, Newstead, North Collins, Orchard Park, Sardinia, Wales and West Seneca; Villages of Akron, Alden, Angola, Depew, East Aurora, Farnham, Gowanda, Lancaster, North Collins, Orchard Park and Springville. The HOME Consortium includes the above communities, as well as the Town of Hamburg and the Villages of Blasdell and Hamburg.

Erie County usually holds a foreclosure auction twice each year. Auction and Foreclosure information can be found at

Starting a business is a serious, and often costly, endeavor. Questions such as: legal structure, insurance, and federal and state tax structure, depends on the type of business venture you are considering. Fortunately, there are several agencies that offer free or low cost business assistance programs for new startups to learn the elements of business management. Please visit the Community Development home page for Links to these programs and others.

It is possible; however, the chances of a for-profit business receiving a grant are highly unlikely. These grants are usually for very specific purposes such as Workforce Training, Research & Development (R&D), and energy efficiency. For information on business assistance and incentives, please consult resources outlined in the Erie County Business Assistance Directory located in the Community Development document page.

Industrial Development Agencies (IDA) are public benefit corporations originally authorized by the Industrial Development Agency Act of 1969 and governed by the provisions of Article 18-A of the General Municipal Law. The Town of Evans does not have its own IDA; however, we are served the Erie County IDA. According to the authorizing statute, the purpose of an IDA is to promote, develop, encourage and assist in acquiring, constructing, improving, maintaining or equipping certain facilities, thereby advancing the job opportunities, health, general prosperity and the economic welfare of the people of New York.

For residential purposes:

  • New construction of homes, garages, carports and other structures
  • Additions and alterations of buildings
  • Storage buildings or sheds 35 square feet or larger, including prefabricated buildings delivered to site
  • Decks and porches
  • Enclosing porches or decks
  • Extending roofs over decks and porches
  • Rebuilding, altering and structural renovations to any existing structure
  • Swimming pools above ground and in ground, including decks around pools
  • Installation of woodstoves, pellet stoves, fireplaces, wood boilers and chimneys
  • Demolition and removal of buildings
  • Any type of structural repairs being made to an existing structure
  • All yard fences or replacement of existing fences with new
  • Repairs or replacement of the roof structure or covering materials


Commercial Purposes:

  • New construction
  • Most improvements, alterations, enlargements, repairs and change of tenants
  • Change of Occupancy
  • Repairs or replacement of the roof structure or covering materials
  • Demolition work on the interior or exterior of the building
  • All yard fencing or replacement of existing fencing with new
  • Replacement or installation of any accessory storage type structures
  • Signs, including temporary signs

No. We cannot recommend anyone to you. However, in some instances we can provide you a list of local contractors who maintain the proper insurance coverage's on file with the Town. Plumbers are required to be licensed with the Town. You should exercise due diligence and always request references from your contractor, and then check them out prior to signing anything.

In most cases, your identity will be protected under the Freedom of Information Law; however should a matter go to court the information could be divulged under a subpoena or discovery.

Yes. You may contact us anonymously but your complaint will not be regarded as "founded" in nature unless it is verified by the Code Enforcement Officer. Our experience suggests to us that anonymous complaints usually are not as credible as regular complaints. We will accept your anonymous report and it will be reviewed on a low priority basis. A file will only be opened if the complaint is independently confirmed by the Code Enforcement Officer. Additionally, if more information is required to conduct an investigation there would be no way to contact you.

Boundary disputes are personal legal matters and are not within the jurisdiction of the municipality (Note: Unless a municipal boundary is the subject of the problem). You should consult an attorney or your title company to assist you.

You should consult an attorney, as this is a private legal dispute and the municipality has no control or jurisdiction.

No. Only plumbers are required to be licensed, but all contractors are required to have the various phases of their work inspected throughout the construction process in order to ensure proper compliance with all aspects of the various Codes involved.

Absolutely. You should also request proof of insurance. In the event that your contractor cannot produce a plumber's license or proof of insurance please contact the Code Enforcement Office to report the contractor's name and other information that may be useful for enforcement purposes.

The Town regulations regarding construction-related noise prohibits a person, between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. of the following day, to perform any construction or repair work of any kind. However, there are exceptions to this ordinance. For clarification, contact the Town of Evans Building Department at 716-549-5753

You may contact the Evans Police Department. Frequently, a police officer responding will be enough to address the matter. Should there be serious questions regarding the issue or if the matter is serious enough, the Police Dept. has emergency contact information for the Town Code Officials.

Yes, The Town and Village require you to obtain a rental permit and have a thorough building and safety inspection prior to anyone taking occupancy. The application can be obtained in the Code Enforcement Office, and the fee for the permit would be paid once the application has been submitted, then the inspection will be performed, which the current tenant must be present for (unless unit is vacant, then the landlord must be present) or a waiver by the tenant can be signed to allow access while they are not home, providing all items are in order the rental permit can be issued.

Yes, but it must be ether:

  1. Stored on a premises legally used, operated and located for a junk yard.
  2. The motor vehicle must be stored in a completely enclosed building
  3. Only one motor vehicle may be stored outside on the property under a proper car cover and is not in addition to a vehicle described in #5 below.
  4. The motor vehicle is the inventory or part of the inventory of a new or used motor vehicle dealer located in compliance with the ordinances and local laws in the Town of Evans.
  5. A motor vehicle is under repair, reconstruction or refurbishing by the owners thereof, who actually reside on the premises, in which case one such motor vehicle may be stored on the premises. The vehicle must be maintained and protected and not create any hazard or nuisance to surrounding property owners and shall not remain on the premises for more than 60 days.

Yes, but a permit is required for a period not exceeding 90 days per permit and not to exceed 180 days per calendar year.

Yes, The Property Maintenance code of New York State requires smoke detectors at all of the following locations:

  • On the ceiling or wall outside the sleeping area in the immediate vicinity of bedroom area (where bedrooms are on opposite ends of the house one would be required next to each sleeping area).
  • In each room used for sleeping purposes.
  • In each story within a dwelling unit, including basements and cellars but not including crawl spaces and unoccupied attics.

No, they cannot be used on combustible balconies or decks. Cylinders greater than 2.5 Lbs. cannot be stored on balconies. All cooking must be at least 10 feet from the combustible building wall surface.


  • Siding
  • Replacement windows or doors of the same size
  • Non structural necessary repairs
  • Installation or repair of driveways
  • Installation of a second layer of shingle roofing without removing the first layer
  • Installation or construction of a storage shed 35 square feet or smaller



  • Check with our office for all items
  • Information from the owner, like their name, phone no., contractors name, & phone no., estimated total project cost
  • Site plan drawn to scale or a copy of the property survey showing the size of the lot, location of buildings, location of improvements and distance to property lines and other buildings.
  • Building plans and /or specifications drawn to scale. Plans shall include details on footer, foundation, floor, wall, and roof construction, insulation, plumbing, windows and door locations.
  • Residential plans must show energy code compliance. Window and door schedules must be submitted and states the sizes, make and models of each unit to be installed, U-factor specifications, glass and clear vent sizes and potential egress capability.
  • For free software for energy code compliance go to
  • Some commercial building plans for new construction, additions, and change of occupancy must be referred to the Planning Board for site plan approval before a permit can be issued.
  • In some cases plans must be stamped by a New York State Engineer or Architect, in compliance with New York State Education Law. Changes or amendments to the stamped plans either before or during construction will not be accepted unless they have been reviewed by the issuing licensed professional. One copy of the site plan (survey), building plans, and specifications must be submitted for review.
  • Contractors must submit proof of general liability insurance (Accord statement), workman's compensation insurance (C105.2 form), or New York State Insurance Fund form (U26.3) and disability insurance certificates for their employees, and subcontractors. An Accord form is not acceptable proof of New York State Worker's Compensation or Disability Benefits Insurance coverage.
  • Self employed contractors with no employees, subcontractors, helpers or other workers must submit New York State Worker's Compensation form CE-200 as proof of exemption.
  • Homeowners must complete a Worker's Compensation waiver form (BP-1) if the homeowner is the contractor, or acting as a general contractor allowing someone to do work at their residence, whether or not they are being compensated in any way, and if being compensated the home owner is required to have a home owners policy in effect to cover a contractor working at their residence with all individuals on the site working an aggregate total hours of 40 hours per week maximum.
  • All building demolitions are required to have an asbestos survey completed on the project and a copy of the results must be submitted to our office prior to issuing the permit.
  • All new construction work will need a sewer connection permit from the Erie County (EC) Sewer Dept. or the specifications for the type of septic system required by the EC Health Dept.
  • An owner who has recently purchased a property will be required to submit legal document proof of their ownership, such as a copy of the recorded deed, from the county clerk's office.
  • For structures being built in a flood plain area, an elevation survey for the property is required and a flood plain development permit approval prior to any construction permit being issued.
  • In cases where an existing structure is on a property and it is to be demolished and then a new building is built on the property then a sewer disconnect permit is required to be submitted with the new construction plans.
  • On some projects that are on the waterfront or next to large creeks and streams, it may be determined that a Waterfront Assessment Form (WAF) and / or a Coastal Erosion Hazard Area (CEHA) form would be required to be filled out and meet the approval of the town's planning dept. and / or Dept. of Environmental Conservation (DEC) prior to issuing the permit.
  • Construction work areas that will be altering or affecting the access to or from a public road, street, or highway may be required to obtain a DOT work permit from the agency responsible for the maintenance to the public road, street or highway, and then submit a copy to our office.

Town and County Taxes are due on February 15th (next business day if due dates falls on a Saturday, Sunday or Holiday).

School Taxes are due on October 15th (next business day if due dates falls on a Saturday, Sunday or Holiday).

A postage meter postmark is NOT a postmark made by the United State Post Office and, therefore, is not within the provisions of Real Property Tax law, Section 925.  Payments canot be deemed timely because of a postage meter postmark date on an envelope containing tax payment (Op. State Compt. 69-170).

If taxes are not received until after the due date, they are not paid until after the due date unless they fall squarely within the provisions of section 925 of the Real Property Tax law and the penalty must be added and collected and no town employee or official can waive the penalty (Op. State Compt. 68-626).

Town and County taxes are turned over to Erie County on July 1st, School taxes are turned over to Erie County on December 1st. Payment must then be made to Erie County. Any School tax not paid by December 31st will be relevied to the following Town and County tax bill.



emailTown of Evans Employee Email: Use Round Cube for Web Based Mail when Prompted

© Copyright 2020 Town of Evans. All Rights Reserved.

Website Design and Hosting by: Edmunds GovTech